Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The power of smells from the kitchen...

I put some vincas in the urns outside my apartment entrance this spring. First, they really didn't get enough sun and became long and leggy instead of thick and full. But the other residents were enjoying them so I kept them going. They met with various traumas throughout the summer and were broken several times. Finally last week, I looked at these yellowed, leggy plants with a couple of flowers on the ends of them and empty spaces where more stems used to be and decided enough was enough and ugly was ugly.

Monday I came home from work and there was a note on my door from one of my elderly neighbors who expressed sorrow at the demise of the flowers. In the note was a $20 bill and the comment to please try again! I went to the store and bought some mums. I put the change in an envelope and taped it to his door.

Tonight I came home from work and another note was taped to my door. On the back of the envelope was the question, "Can you bake pies??" and inside was a recipe for German Chocolate Pie! It so happened that I had all the ingredients, so I made a pie tonight and will leave it in a tin at his door when I leave for work tomorrow. I have only met this man once since I moved here in April but the hallway is decorated with his art and the neighbors think the world of him. He is a retired archeologist who can't seem to really retire. And now I know he likes flowers and pies!

Is this fun, or what?!

And I have a feeling he has sniffed at the smells coming from my apartment as I have cooked and baked!

Here is his recipe:

German Chocolate Pie

1 cup sugar
2 Tbs. flour
1 Tbs. cornstarch
2 Tbs. cocoa
2 Tbs. hot water
1 large egg
7 oz. evaporated milk
3/4 cup coconut
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans

8" unbaked pie shell

Mix all ingredients in a bowl with a whisk; pour into prepared crust and bake in 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes, depending on your oven. Don't overbake or the pie will crack on top. Allow to cool before cutting.

I haven't tasted this, but it looks wonderful and smells delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment